Thank you to all the chapters and members who participated in the Piper Sandler “Taking Stock with Teens” Spring 2021 Survey!
Check out these highlights from the survey:
- 33% of teens hold a part-time job—unchanged from Fall 2020 but below the 37% level in Spring 2020
- 46% of teens believe the economy is getting worse vs. 48% in Fall; 25% of teens believe it is getting better
- Skincare spending for females ahead of makeup spending; seeing modest recovery in overall beauty wallet
- Teens allocate 8% of their shopping time to secondhand; 47% of teens have purchased & 55% have sold secondhand
- Chick-Fil-A is No. 1 restaurant, Starbucks No. 2 (+DD share); Chipotle No. 3 gained 300 bps of share to 11% (vs. 8% LY); McDonald’s ceded 200 bps of share Y/Y but remains a top 5 brand
- 15% of teens consume plant-based meat with Impossible Foods & Beyond Meat tied as the No. 1 choice
- Teens spend 32% of their daily video consumption on Netflix followed by YouTube (31%); Prime & Other streaming gained
- Cash is (still) king for teens as top payment method followed by Apple Pay; Venmo is the most used payment app
- 9% of teens claim to have traded cryptocurrency; 81% of these teens are male
- 56% of teens cite Amazon as their No. 1 favorite e-com site; SHEIN took No. 2 spot (7% share; +500 bps Y/Y)
- Nike is the No. 1 fashion brand for teens—up 200 bps Y/Y; Nike is the No. 1 footwear brand—up 900 bps Y/Y
- 88% of teens own an iPhone and 90% expect an iPhone to be their next phone. Both are new all-time highs
- Snapchat is the favorite social media platform (31% share) followed by TikTok (30%) & Instagram (24%, down 700 bps Y/Y)
- Teens’ favorite celebrity is Kevin Hart and most followed influencer is David Dobrik
For more information, download the full report.
The Piper Sandler Taking Stock With Teens®survey is a semi-annual research project that gathers input from 7,000 teens with an average age of 16.1 years. Discretionary spending patterns, fashion trends, technology, and brand and media preferences are assessed through surveying a geographically diverse subset of high schools across the U.S. Since the project began in 2001, Piper Sandler has surveyed more than 201,800 teens and collected over 49.7 million data points on teen spending.
Piper Sandler is a leading investment bank and asset management firm. Our proven advisory teams combine deep product knowledge with sector expertise. Founded in 1895, the firm is headquartered in Minneapolis and has offices across the U.S. and internationally.