You are the director of human resources for Platter Group, a large global media, marketing and corporate communications company. Platter Group employs over 20,000 people across the nation. Along with 25 offices across the nation, Platter Group has thousands of remote workers.
Recently, the board of directors for Platter Group met to discuss the company’s strategic plan. One piece of the plan discussed was the company’s involvement in social awareness activities and volunteerism. The board feels that company involvement will alter the company’s organizational culture to better demonstrate empathy and concern. The board recommended that Platter Group have a formal employee volunteer program in place in the next three years.
The president of Platter Group has asked you to create an employee volunteer program. The president wants you to recommend and analyze:
- Considerations in allowing paid time off for volunteering
- Annual allowance of volunteer days per employee
- Pros/Cons of only allowing volunteering for approved Platter Group volunteer opportunities vs any opportunity the employee prefers
- Pros/Cons of large group volunteering (entire office locations)
- Methods to include remote employees
- Effects of employee volunteer program on organizational culture