Thank you to all the chapters and members who participated in the Fall 2022 Piper Sandler Taking Stock With Teens® survey!
Congratulations to the top five participating DECA associations:
Check Out These Key Findings
Demographics & Spending:
- 39% of teens hold a part-time job – steady with last Spring and up from 38% in Fall 2021.
- For upper-income teens, food was the number one wallet priority for male spending at 23% share, and clothing reached its highest level of female wallet share since 2012 at 30% share.
- Teens allocate 7% of their shopping time to secondhand; 47% have purchased secondhand, and 58% have sold secondhand.
- The core beauty wallet (cosmetics, skincare, fragrance) stood at $264 per year, led by cosmetics.
- Skincare held the highest priority of beauty spending at $103, followed by cosmetics at $96 and haircare at $91.
- Everyday makeup wearers are now at 41% (vs. 33% last year), including 50% of upper-income teens wearing makeup every day.
- Weekly usage of VR devices decreased to 14% and 26% of teens own a VR device.
- Video games are 12% of teen wallet share (vs. 14% last year), and 30% expect to purchase a NextGen console within two years.
Brand & Preference Rankings:
- 52% of teens cite Amazon as their number one favorite e-commerce site, followed by SHEIN, Nike, Lululemon and Pacsun.
- Nike remains the number one brand for all teens in both apparel (31% share) and footwear (60% share).
- Crocs increased from the number six preferred footwear brand to number five, while Hey Dude moved from number nine to number seven.
- e.l.f. maintained its position as the number one cosmetics brand.
- Bath & Body Works came in as the number one fragrance brand among female teens (38% share).
- Ulta remained the number one preferred beauty destination at 42% share, and it also held the strongest beauty loyalty membership at 62% of female teens with a membership.
- Chick-Fil-A remains the number one restaurant at 18% share, followed by Starbucks at 17% and Chipotle at 13%.
- Teens report the highest intentions to eat more or the same amount of Nature Valley and Clif; however, Goldfish remained teens' most preferred snack brand.
- TikTok improved as the favorite social platform (38% share), followed by SnapChat and Instagram.
- Teens spend 32% of daily video consumption on Netflix and 29% on YouTube.
- 87% of teens own an iPhone; 88% expect an iPhone to be their next phone and 31% of teens own an Apple Watch.
The Piper Sandler Taking Stock With Teens® survey is a semi-annual research project that gathers input from 14,500 teens with an average age of 15.8 years. Discretionary spending patterns, fashion trends, technology, and brand and media preferences are assessed through surveying a geographically diverse subset of high schools across the U.S. Since the project began in 2001, Piper Sandler has surveyed more than 233,400 teens and collected over 56.5 million data points on teen spending.
Piper Sandler is a leading investment bank and asset management firm. Our proven advisory teams combine deep product knowledge with sector expertise. Founded in 1895, the firm is headquartered in Minneapolis and has offices across the U.S. and internationally.