Article content provided by Eva Shapiro and Holly Huston's Stepping Up to Lead workshop at The 2023 Ultimate DECA Power Trip in Austin, TX.
Why Lead in DECA
DECA provides opportunities for personal and professional growth. Through hands-on leadership roles at the chapter, association and executive level, you can develop essential skills such as communication, teamwork and problem-solving. Leadership in DECA also adds a touch to resumes, showcasing initiative, responsibility and a commitment to skill development. It instills confidence, deepens understanding of business concepts and will prepare you for your future.
Why Lead at the Chapter Level?
- Impactful Change: Shape the direction of your local DECA community, initiate projects and create a positive impact.
- Skill Development: Enhance your leadership, communication and organizational skills by managing chapter activities and events.
How to Obtain a Chapter Leadership Position:
- Active Participation: Demonstrate your commitment by actively participating in chapter activities and events.
- Leadership Workshops: Attend DECA leadership workshops and training sessions to enhance your skills and knowledge.
- Initiative: Propose and lead new initiatives within your chapter, showcasing your leadership potential.
- Election Process: Participate in your chapter's election process. Talk to your advisor about the requirements and procedure to become a chapter officer.
Why Lead at the Association Level?
- Association Influence: Contribute to the growth and success of DECA in your association, shaping policies and programs.
- Networking: Build a strong network with DECA members from different chapters, enhancing your professional connections.
How to Obtain an Association Leadership Position:
- Chapter Leadership: Gain experience by leading your chapter. Association officers often have strong chapter leadership backgrounds.
- Participate in Events: Attend association-level DECA conferences, workshops and seminars. Network with current association officers and advisors.
- Campaign: Run for an Association office. Highlight your experience, ideas and passion for DECA. Talk to your association officers for more information about the requirements and process for running for association office in your association.
Why Lead at the Executive Level?
- International Impact: Represent DECA members on the international level.
- Leadership Growth: Greatly grow your leadership skills and contribute to the organization's growth.
How to Obtain an Executive Leadership Position:
- Outside Leadership Experience: Build a strong foundation by serving in another DECA leadership position (Chapter, District, Association).
- Professional Development: Participate in events and workshops to enhance your skills.
- Run for Office: Campaign for an executive office. Craft a comprehensive platform showcasing your ideas for DECA’s future. Running for executive office involves a test, interview and nomination, caucusing with associations, speech and meet the officer session.
- International Campaign: Create your campaign. Present your vision to DECA officers and members nationwide. Craft a comprehensive platform showcasing your ideas for DECA’s future. Demonstrate your passion for DECA’s mission and growth.