Are you looking to get involved with your community and make an impact this holiday season? Here are five ways to spread some holiday cheer!
Many non-profit organizations could use some extra help over the holidays. Volunteering allows you to sharpen the skills of servant leadership and allows you to...
- Help others by utilizing your skills productively.
- Make a difference in the lives of someone less fortunate.
- Connect with members of the community.
- Contribute to a cause that you care about.
- Feel good about rendering a great deed.
2. Community Fundraiser
This is a chance to raise money with volunteers and supporters. Besides benefiting a great cause, these fundraisers can build awareness of DECA and develop relationships in the community. Here are a few types of community fundraisers to consider:
- Online donations
- Collections within your organizations
- Walk-a-thon or dance-a-thon for sponsorships
- A 50/50 fundraiser, allowing you to raise some funds for the community and funds for the chapter
- Silent auction using an online app
3. Food Drive
Collect non-perishable items like canned goods as a chapter and deliver them to shelters, organizations or food pantries that will disseminate the food as needed.
4. Winter Clothing Drive
This is a great way to pool community efforts, create outreach for the homeless, and contribute to those less fortunate.
There is always a family that needs a blessing over the holidays. Through this type of project, you'll use a family's wish list to collect the requested items in the name of your organization.
The holidays are a perfect time to get involved in your community. These team bonding activities are also great ways to build on friendships and grow as a chapter. Because one of DECA's guiding principles is preparing the next generation to be community-oriented, a selfless act of kindness over the holidays represents our mission fulfillment.
For Collegiate DECA members, participating in community service also helps you get one step closer to completing your Individual Leadership Passport. Take a look at the requirements here—what a great way to give back and jumpstart the new year with those accomplishments.