DECA members are invited to participate in the DECA Stock Market Game (SMG) which kicks off on September 12, 2022.
Participants in the DECA SMG test their investment knowledge and skills against other DECA members by managing a diversified portfolio of stocks, mutual funds, bonds and cash. Students can access their investment portfolios via a web browser on any device or on The Stock Market Game mobile app (by the SIFMA Foundation) available on Android or Apple.
The DECA SMG event is free all active DECA members and is the perfect tool to help your students build financial capability. The SIFMA Foundation, provider of SMG, houses a wealth of free financial education curriculum for DECA Advisors to access in the Teacher Support Center upon registration for the competition. Register now to gain access, or use these tools to get started:
- The New SMG Essentials Syllabus is a 10-session track for advisors to easily teach financial education and investing. Each session includes mini-lesson videos, team breakout activities, and discussion questions.
- SMG Prep Week recorded webinars covers program basics to our new curriculum dropping in the Teacher Support Center.
- SMG Essential Mini-Lesson videos include intro to investing, risk, diversification and more! All videos are 3-6 mins long and have Exit Tickets.
- SMG Training videos include a trading portfolio overview, the national rules, and how to enter stock, mutual fund and bond trades.
Please note: Students participating in the DECA SMG must be in teams of one to three DECA members. The top 25 teams from each region that abide by all DECA SMG program rules, guidelines, Code of Participation and Code of Conduct will be submitted to DECA for ICDC qualification. Students competing at ICDC in the DECA SMG may not compete in another ICDC event. Only original team members may compete at ICDC. No substitutions will be allowed to the original team. Please review the Rules, Code of Participation and Code of Conduct for 2022-2023.
- Competition Begins: Monday, September 12 at 9:30 a.m. ET
- Student Name Submission: Friday, October 21 at 4:00 p.m. ET
- Asset Diversification: Friday, October 28 at 4:00 p.m. ET – Friday, December 9 at 4 p.m. ET
- Competition Ends: Friday, December 9 at 4:00 p.m. ET
- Portfolio Deletion: Monday, May 15
DECA and the SIFMA Foundation are pleased to provide their members with the DECA Stock Market Game and the Collegiate DECA Stock Market Game. The Stock Market Game is an online simulation of the global capital markets and engages students in the world of economics, investing, and personal finance with the goal of preparing them for financially independent futures. In the DECA and Collegiate Stock Market Games, teams of one to three DECA members are given a virtual $100,000 to invest in stocks, bonds, and mutual funds. Team members must work together to build and manage a high performing investment portfolio.