DECA’s Emerging Leader Honor Award recognizes members studying marketing, finance, hospitality and management for being academically prepared, community oriented, professionally responsible, experienced leaders through participation in DECA.
If you know an exceptional DECA leader who is a senior, consider recognizing them with the DECA Emerging Leader Honor Award.
Applications open on December 1, 2021, and must be submitted by February 28, 2022. The original January 28, 2022 deadline has been extended.
To qualify, a student must:
- Be a current DECA member
- Be a senior
- Have an overall cumulative grade point average of 3.2 for the previous seven semesters (with a 4.0 being equal to an “A”)
- Complete at least one course in one of the following areas: marketing, business management and administration, entrepreneurship, finance, or hospitality and tourism
- Participate in at least three of the areas listed under Community Oriented, Professionally Responsible and Experienced Leader
DECA is excited to announce a streamlined process for members and advisors to nominate members who meet the above criteria for this award. The entire process, including the certificate, is now online, so no administrative fee will be assessed moving forward.
- Log in to the student portal in the Membership System.*
- Click the Emerging Honor Award Self-Nomination tab (only displays for members in 12th grade). If you do not see the tab click on the arrow to see more options.
- Check beside each qualification you have met
- Sign the application and it will be forwarded to your advisor for review.
- Members can see if their application is pending, approved or denied.
*To log in to the membership portal, students must have their Member ID (number to the left of their name) and the Password set by the advisor in the Chapter Information tab. Student passwords can be changed or updated in the Chapter Information tab in the student password box by the advisor or the advisor can click the pencil icon beside the student name to enter a new password.
- Advisors will receive an email that a student member has initiated an Emerging Leader Honor Award.
- Log in to the Membership System and navigate to the Emerging Leader Honor Award tab. If you do not see the tab click on the arrow to see more options.
- You will see a status beside each member (awaiting approval, approved, denied) or a “Nominate” button.
- You can nominate a student using the “Nominate” button on the Emerging Leader Honor Award tab (only displays for members in 12th grade).
Upon approval by the advisor and DECA Inc., advisors or members can print their certificate through the membership system under the Emerging Leader Honor Award tab. All Emerging Leader Honor Award recipients will be recognized on DECA Direct Online.
As DECA’s leadership specialist, Debbie implements a comprehensive student leadership program for both the high school and college divisions. She is responsible for the Emerging Leader Series, executive officer teams and elections, and student recognition programs like the Collegiate DECA Leadership Passport Program and DECA Emerging Leader Honor Award. Debbie has worked for DECA since 2019.