The 2019 DECA Idea Challenge Item Is Revealed!
DECA Inc. and Global Entrepreneurship Week (GEW) are excited to launch the eighth year of the DECA Idea Challenge. A premier event of GEW, the DECA Idea Challenge dares elementary through college students around the globe to find an innovative use for a commonplace item in mere days!
This year’s challenge item is SHOELACES.
Follow these steps below to get started:
- Download the DECA Idea Challenge Toolkit for competition guidelines, video tips and instructor resources.
- Organize a team of 3 to 5 students.
- Brainstorm creative new uses for this year’s challenge item. There is no limit to the size, color or number of shoelaces used in the entry. Other materials, such as glue, tape and paint may be incorporated into the design as long as the challenge item is the primary component of the final product.
- Record a 3-minute video pitch of the invention and post to YouTube. Videos over that are over three minutes or cannot be viewed will not be evaluated.
- Submit entry online by November 24, 2019, at 11:59 pm ET.
- Spread the excitement using #DECAIdeaChallenge and #GEW2019.
Global winners will be announced on January 21, 2020. Three teams, one from each education category, will be deemed DECA Idea Challenge global winners. Winners will be recognized by DECA Inc. and Global Entrepreneurship Week as well as receive a monetary award from DECA Inc. as follows:
- College/University: $750 U.S. dollars
- High School: $750 U.S. dollars
- Elementary/Middle School: $500 U.S. dollars
DECA membership is not a requirement to participate, so share this exciting activity with anyone interested in igniting their creativity!
We cannot wait to see what you create!
Global Entrepreneurship Week
Global Entrepreneurship Week is the world’s largest celebration of the innovators and job creators who launch startups that bring ideas to life, drive economic growth and expand human welfare. During one week each November, GEW inspires people everywhere through local, national and global activities designed to help them take the next step in their entrepreneurial journey. These activities, from large-scale competitions and events to intimate networking gatherings, connect participants to potential collaborators, mentors and even investors — introducing them to new possibilities and exciting opportunities. Learn more by visiting genglobal.org/gew.