Are You Ready for the DECA Idea Challenge?
DECA is excited to announce another year of the DECA Idea Challenge, a fast-paced experiential learning exercise that dares students of all ages to find an innovative use for a commonplace item in mere days! Once revealed, students must generate a new use for the item. Competing teams finish the challenge by generating a brief video pitch of their new product.
The DECA Idea Challenge is the premier event of Global Entrepreneurship Week (GEW). The competition is an exciting opportunity for students to sharpen the innovation skills needed for entrepreneurship as well as the career-ready 21stCentury Skills of collaboration, communication, creativity and critical thinking. Winners will be recognized to a global audience on decadirect.org and receive a monetary award from DECA Inc. as follows:
- College/University: $750 U.S. dollars
- High School: $750 U.S. dollars
- Elementary/Middle School: $500 U.S. dollars
DECA membership is not a requirement to participate, so share this exciting activity with anyone interested in igniting their creativity!
Dates & Resources
- Today – Promote the challenge with the DECA Idea Challenge Toolkit, featuring guidelines and activities.
- November 15, 2019 at 4:00 p.m. EST – Challenge item announced
- November 18, 2019 – GEW begins
- November 24, 2019 at 11:59 p.m. EST – Submissions due online
- January 7, 2020 – Global winners announced
Additional Ways to Engage in GEW:
- Participate in DECA’s GEW Chapter Campaign!
- Search the GEW database for events, activities and competitions around the world.
- Invite a local entrepreneur to share their roadmap to success as a guest speaker.
- Get inspired by viewing interviews with successful entrepreneurs.
- Perfect your pitch and host a competition at your school.
- Connect with @unleashingideas and @genhq for daily inspiration and the latest GEW news.
Share your excitement with your peers, school, community and the world using #DECAIdeaChallenge and #GEW2019. We can’t wait to see what you create!
Global Entrepreneurship Week
Global Entrepreneurship Week is the world’s largest celebration of the innovators and job creators who launch startups that bring ideas to life, drive economic growth and expand human welfare. During one week each November, GEW inspires people everywhere through local, national and global activities designed to help them take the next step in their entrepreneurial journey. These activities, from large-scale competitions and events to intimate networking gatherings, connect participants to potential collaborators, mentors and even investors — introducing them to new possibilities and exciting opportunities. Learn more by visiting genglobal.org/gew.