Two Hospitality Certificates Available to Collegiate Members
In partnership with the American Hotel & Lodging Educational Institute (AHLEI), DECA is pleased to offer Collegiate DECA members two opportunities to boost their resume:
- The Certified Guest Service Professionals (CGSP®) certification
- The Certified Hospitality Supervisor (CHS®) certification
AHLEI strongly supports the certification of hospitality professionals in all facets of the industry. The CGSP® certification recipients are recognized for their know-how to provide excellent guest service and for their commitment to creating memorable guest experiences. The CHS® certification is the lodging industry’s highest acknowledgement of professionalism for supervisors in the hospitality industry. It demonstrates that the recipient is a hospitality professional who, by combining experience with dedication to the industry, has achieved a high level of expertise.
DECA members who took the Hospitality and Tourism Cluster Exam at their association conference or at ICDC and scored at least 70% will be eligible for the Certified Guest Service Professionals (CGSP®) certification. Certifications are only available at the association level if the scores were reported by the association.
To obtain the Certified Hospitality Supervisor (CHS®) certification, members must meet the same testing requirements, as well as the employment qualifications below:
- Supervises two or more individuals
- Has job duties that are at least 20 percent supervisory in nature and include tasks such as scheduling, training, interviewing, disciplining, inspecting, and conducting performance reviews
- Makes decisions and judgment calls while performing daily duties
- Has input on hiring and firing decisions within a department
- Have 90 days’ time in position with their current employer before submitting the employment verification documentation
DECA members will receive a sharply discounted rate compared to the general public and AHLEI members.
- The Certified Guest Service Professionals (CGSP®) certification – $20
- The Certified Hospitality Supervisor (CHS®) certification – $40
Certifications can be ordered online by the chapter advisor through DECA’s membership system. To place an order, select the “Market Place” tab and the appropriate AHLEI Certifications hyperlink to place an order.
Receipt of Certifications
DECA Inc. will collect paid orders on a weekly basis. AHLEI will receive the orders and distribute certifications directly to the chapter advisor. It will take approximately three weeks for AHLEI to process the order and distribute the certification.
Additional steps are necessary for the Certified Hospitality Supervisor (CHS®) certification. Once the paid order has been distributed to AHLEI, AHLEI will ask the student to complete an employment verification document. Documentation is reviewed by AHLEI’s Certification Department. If accepted, the student is awarded the CHS designation. If for any reason the student is not approved, a refund will be issued for the order.
If you have any questions about the ordering process, please contact Michael Mount at Michael_Mount@deca.org.