2017 SBE Chapter Certification Guidelines Available Now
Looking for a way to connect your classroom instruction with business operations in your DECA School-based Enterprise (SBE)?
Enhance the learning experience for your SBE students and gain recognition by documenting the work your students already do on a daily basis.
The SBE Chapter Certification project provides an opportunity to focus learning on 10 key business operations standards such as financial analysis, promotion, selling, market planning, human resources management, and more.
To earn a chapter certification, SBE members create a written manual detailing how they operate their SBE based on those standards.
The project guidelines are updated each year, and the following are key changes for 2017:
- The project deadline is January 20, 2017. The submission website will open to accept project submissions starting on January 3, 2017.
- The Re-certification project features 3 key business standards derived from the main certification project that rotate each year. For 2017, the featured standards are:
- Financial Analysis
- Advisors must designate whether their SBE specializes in Food Operations or Retail Operations when submitting projects online. The 2017 project guidelines provide further descriptions on how to categorize your SBE.
- The judge’s rubric has been updated to include a 4th ranking category, with ranking categories updated to better align with DECA’s competitive events program and allow for more precise scoring by judges. The updated rankings for each performance indicator are “Little/No Value, Below Expectations, Meets Expectations, and Exceeds Expectations.”
- The order in which performance indicators appear in the written manual has been updated so that written reports flow in a more logical sequence.
Be sure to read the updated guidelines thoroughly before beginning work on the project. The project guidelines are available here:
Need help getting started? The DECA SBE Instructional Units are a great place to start. They will guide you through each of the 10 business standards covered in the certification project through interactive workbooks and PowerPoint presentations available at www.deca.org/sbe.
Also, keep an eye out for your DECA SBE “Guide to Gold” poster arriving in the mail this fall that provides a framework for organizing the project and helps your students track their progress.
Follow DECA on Twitter @DECAInc