Order Your Industry Certifications
Over the past few years, more and more graduation requirements have been placed upon students. One of these common requirements is that students must obtain an industry certification or credential in order to graduate, depending on the diploma the student seeks.
As a result of their participation in DECA’s Competitive Events Program, DECA members may have opportunities to earn recognized industry certifications in several areas:
Financial Literacy Certification through partnership with Working in Support of Education (w!se). w!se’s Financial Literacy Certification Program was developed in 2003 and has expanded nationally and has been widely recognized for its success, including the U.S. Treasury Department’s John Sherman Award for Excellence in Financial Education.
- DECA members who took the Financial Literacy Exam at ICDC and scored at least 70% will be eligible for w!se’s Financial Literacy Certification.
- DECA members who took the Financial Literacy Exam at their state/provincial conference and scored at least a 70% will be eligible for w!se's Financial Literacy Certification, if the scores were reported by the state/provincial association.
Certified Guest Services Professional (CGSP) Certification through partnership with the American Hotel and Lodging Educational Institute (AHLEI).
- DECA members who took the Hospitality and Tourism Cluster Exam at ICDC and scored at least 70% will be eligible for AHLEI’s Certified Guest Services Professional Certification.
- DECA members who took the Hospitality and Tourism Cluster Exam at their state/provincial conference and scored at least 70% will be eligible for AHLEI’s Certified Guest Services Professional Certification, if the scores were reported by the state/provincial association.
This article outlines the procedures advisors and members must follow to obtain the credentials.
DECA has created an online, centralized hub to facilitate the certification process between all parties involved. Exam data from the ICDCs has been uploaded to the online hub/marketplace. DECA advisors will be able to go to a specified webpage to order certification materials for their students with scores above 70% on the exams.
Step 1 – Go to www.decaregistration.com/hs if you are a high school advisor.
Step 2 – Enter your username and password.
Step 3 – Put your cursor over the “Main” tab. Click on the “Market Place Hub” option.
Step 4 – Click on the certification options available to see if any of your students are eligible for either of the industry certifications.
Step 5 – Select the students you wish to order certifications for.
Step 6 – Confirm your students and the totals.
Step 7 – Provide credit card information to place order and hit "Submit." All payments must be done via credit card.
Step 8 – DECA Inc. will collect orders and send to w!se and AHLEI on a bi-weekly basis. Certification materials will be sent to the school.
DECA members will receive steeply discounted rates compared to the general public.
- w!se’s Financial Literacy Certification will cost DECA members $7, compared to w!se’s pricing of $10-$12.
- AHLEI’s Certified Guest Services Professional (CGSP) Certification will cost DECA members $20, compared to AHLEI’s pricing of $50 for AHLEI members and $70 for non-members.
Follow Chris @decachrisyoung on Twitter.