North Carolina DECA Members Take Full Advantage of EPIC Partnership Certifications
North Carolina DECA is pleased to announce a total of 271 marketing and entrepreneurship education students/North Carolina DECA members attained professional credentials through a new program for DECA members who attended the North Carolina DECA Career Development Conference in March of 2016.
As a result of participation in the seven competitive events from within the Hospitality and Tourism Cluster, North Carolina DECA members earned recognized industry certifications in two areas:
Certified Guest Services Professional (CGSP) Certification through a partnership with the American Hotel and Lodging Education Institute (AHLEI).
- A total of 580 NC DECA members took the Hospitality and Tourism Cluster Exam and 256 (44%) scored at least 70% to be recognized at conference and awarded AHLEI’s Certified Guest Service Professional Certification.
- This represented sixty-five North Carolina High Schools with an average score of 75%.
- Student members participated in the following competitive events:
- Hospitality Services Team Decision Making (HTDM)= 112
- Hospitality & Tourism Professional Selling (HTPS) =45
- Hotel & Lodging Management Series (HLM) = 107
- Quick Serve Restaurant Management (QSRM) =110
- Restaurant and Food Service Management (RFSM) =68
- Travel & Tourism Team Decision Making (TTDM) = 138
Financial Literacy Certification through a partnership with Working in Support of Education (w!se) w!se’s Financial Literacy Certification program was developed in 2003 and has expanded nationally and been widely recognized for success, including the U. S. Treasury Department’s John Sherman Award for Excellence in Financial Education.
- A total of 25 NC DECA members took the Financial Literacy Exam and 15 or 60% scored at least 70% were recognized at conference and awarded w!se’s Financial Literacy Certification. This represented 8 NC High School with an average score of 82%.
- Student participated in the following event:
- Personal Financial Literacy (PFL) = 25
North Carolina DECA is proud to support our members by providing them with industry certifications. These certifications continue to prepare our students to be college and career ready.
Follow North Carolina DECA on Twitter @NC_DECA.