20 Tips to Help You Act Like a Professional in the Workplace
You’ve been hired into an entry level position in your chosen career path and you’re eager to rise through the ranks.
Now is the time to put on your game face and act like a pro. Try these tips on for size:
- Be of great character. Carry yourself with decency and integrity.
- Master several skills that make you the go-to-person on your team for these skills.
- Don’t be afraid to learn new skills.
- Share your knowledge with peers if they express interest.
- Be reliable and dependable. Come to work on time, arrive on time and prepared for meetings, and deliver quality work product by deadline.
- Maintain a positive attitude and inspire those around you.
- Take ownership. If you screw up, admit it and fix it if you can. If you can’t, find someone who can.
- Be proactive. If you see a need, fill it. If you see a challenge or opportunity coming down the pike, address it.
- Be diligent. As stated in item #5, above, deliver the best work product you can on deadline. The quality of your work speaks volumes about you.
- Exercise self-discipline. Be sure you are up to your professional best during working hours, and leave your personal life outside of the office whenever possible.
- Exude dedication: to quality; to use of resources in the smartest way possible; to professional growth and development; and most of all, to your company.
- Put the mission first. Always. It’s not about you or your ego; you are there to work toward completing the mission, whether it is the mission for this particular job or the company’s overall mission.
- Understand important data that defines success in your role. Whether it’s Return on Investment, or Earnings per Share or Turnover Rate or another data point.
- Be an efficiency tightwad. Identify ways to save the company money, time and other resources. Then share them with your supervisor.
- Pitch in – even when a task is not in your job description but needs to get done because it’s crunch time for your team. If a supervisor asks, just pitch in and get it done. It’s all about team work and you never know when you are going to need the help!
- Don’t whine about problems. Identify opportunities and challenges, and offer solutions, too!
- Don’t be afraid to advocate an alternative position. Just be sure you can back it up with a reasoned argument, while keeping your ego in check. Refer back to item #12.
- Dedicate yourself to transparency and have nothing to hide.
- Be organized. Know what you’ve got and where it is located. That way, you won’t lose valuable time because something fell through the cracks.
- Communicate clearly and concisely. Deliver the facts in as few words as necessary to get the message across.
Use your favorite tips from this list to help you bring your “A-Game” to the office.
Be the best you can be and think like an owner. Your efforts may be recognized and eventually rewarded. And you can leave work every day secure in the knowledge you conducted yourself like a professional.
Follow Publix on Twitter @Publix.