Choosing the “Right” DECA Competitive Event
DECA offers members the opportunity to compete in over 50 different competitive events. So how do you know which event you should compete in?
Here are a few of my suggestions:
1) Select a competitive event related to a class you are taking or have taken. For example, if you are taking a class about sports and entertainment marketing, compete in one of DECA’s sports and entertainment marketing events.
2) Do not compete in an event that you don’t have an understanding of. For example, if you have never taken an accounting class, do not compete in DECA’s accounting or finance events.
3) Select a competitive event format that best fits your style. For example, if you are a planner, then you may wish to consider one of DECA’s written and/or prepared events. If you like computer simulations, then you may wish to consider one of DECA’s online events.
I recently created a Prezi designed to help you narrow down your choices based on a few factors:
- Career Cluster (Academic Area)
- Business Management and Administration
- Hospitality and Tourism
- Competitive Event Format
- Role-plays/Case Studies
I hope this tool is helpful as you seek the “right” competitive event.
Follow Shane on Twitter @LShaneThomas.