SBE Advisory Council Holds Annual Meeting in Charlotte
The DECA SBE Advisory Council is responsible for guiding the SBE program in a positive direction, setting goals for growth and development, and planning SBE activities.
Two weeks ago, the council held its annual meeting at Johnson & Wales University’s Charlotte, N.C., campus. The council discussed ways to improve the SBE Academy at the 2016 International Career Development Conference in Nashville, Tenn., ideas to spotlight the SBE program to the DECA community, and methods for improving the individual certification exam.
Key updates and initiatives for 2015-2016 include:
- The SBE Academy format will be updated from a full day session to half day sessions for professional development day, split according to SBE classification (Food Operations or Retail Operations). This change will accommodate growing numbers of participants and provide more opportunities for smaller break-out sessions and interaction among students.
- Updated Chapter Certification project guidelines will be posted to deca.org this summer.
- The new rotation of topics for Chapter Re-certification project guidelines are market planning, product/service management, and selling.
- The 2016 SBE competition topic for ICDC will be based on the topic of selling.
- Resources for helping advisors prepare their students for the Individual Certification Exam will be developed, including a study guide that will be available on www.deca.org this fall.
The SBE advisory councilmembers are dedicated advisors that have extensive experience with DECA and the SBE program and are eager to share their knowledge and expertise with the DECA SBE community. Through the generous support of DECA SBE’s premier sponsor, Otis Spunkmeyer, an ARYZTA brand, DECA is able to provide valuable experienced-based learning opportunities to DECA members.
Thank you to the following individuals who have committed their time to the council and participated in a productive meeting:
- Cyndee Barkley – Lehigh Career & Technical Institute, PA
- Bruce Chadwick – Spotsylvania High School, VA
- Erica Marshall – Samuel Clemens High School, TX
- Shawn Perez – Heritage High School, WA
- Sonja Weiler – Elk River High School, MN
- Dean Johnson – Otis Spunkmeyer/ARYZTA
For more information about DECA SBE, please visit www.deca.org.
Follow DECA on Twitter @DECAInc.