6 Steps to Choosing the Perfect Major for You
One of the single most difficult things to do in college is officially declaring a major. There are so many questions involved like, “Did I make the right choice?” “Will I be successful?” “Are the classes going to be difficult?”
Hopefully after reading this you will feel comfortable and confident with making this very important decision.
If anyone knows the pressure of finding a major that fits you perfectly, it’s me. I graduated high school in 2009, and I have changed my major or trade five times since then. First I thought I wanted to be a cosmetologist, then I thought maybe an actress, then it was an elementary school teacher, then I added early childhood and special education and now finally I have found my one true love, sport and leisure management.
Had I followed these six steps earlier in my college career, I could have saved a lot of money and would have graduated by now. Save yourself time and money and consider these six steps to choosing a major:
- Pick the Right School: Being at the right school with students and staff that understand you makes all the difference in figuring out your plans for the future. Spend time researching schools and making college visits.
- Don’t Rush: Rushing a decision that could affect the rest of your life could be detrimental for your future. Make sure that you take your time and take a lot of different general classes to try and get a feel for where your passion lies.
- Experiment: Join as many clubs, teams and student organizations as you possibly can. The more involved you are with a variety of people and topics, the more you will being to learn about yourself and your passions.
- Utilize Your Advisor: Advisors are such a gift in college. They are great tools when trying to choose a major and have many resources that can help you decide. When you do decide, they also have many connections for internships and jobs.
- Job Shadow: When you have your choices narrowed down to only a few, contact local businesses in those areas to see if you can job shadow. Most places are very happy to spread their knowledge of the field and it is a great networking experience for you.
- Be Confident: Once you make your choice or officially declare your major, then be confident in your decision. Get involved, be proactive and get internships! But whatever you do, make it count and make it worth your while.
Now that you know the steps to choosing the perfect major, I encourage you to go out and start using them. If you have already declared a major, reevaluate your decision with these steps to be sure that you are exactly where you’re meant to be.
Choosing a major can be nerve-racking and stressful, but when you find the place you were meant to be, it becomes well worth all the effort.
Follow Alex on Twitter @alex_borchardt.